10. English Page
10.4 JPNIC Q and A
- How can I handle Japanese symbols on my personal computer?
It is fully dependent on the type of computer that you
are using. We are neither a software developer nor a
software vendor. Therefore, we are unable to give you
the specific information that you want. However, we
would suggest you to read the USENET news groups
"fj". Note that "fj" stands for "From Japan".
For example, the following newsgroups can be useful for you if you are using MS-windows, X-windows or Macintosh.
fj.windows.ms About Microsoft Windows. fj.windows.x About X window systems. fj.sys.mac Discussion about the Apple Macintosh & Lisa.
- I am going to visit Nagoya Japan and stay there for a while with my laptop computer and a modem. Is it possible for me to get access to the Internet during my stay in Japan?
Some of the Internet service providers who are also a
member of JPNIC, run a dialup connection service which
may serve your purpose. So please contact them. Some
useful information related to the similar kind of
questions can be obtained from the USENET news group
"fj.net.providers". Note that "fj" stands for "From
The list of JPNIC member Internet service providers (including non-commercial ones) can be found in
It is written in Japanese using ISO-2022 encoding (cf. RFC 1468), but we think you can read some part of this. We hope this will serve your purpose.
- How can I apply for IP address in Japan.
JPNIC documents related to IP address allocation
service can be obtained by sending an empty mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org. These documents are placed in the
and they can be obtained by anonymous ftp also. Note that these documents are written in Japanese using ISO-2022 encoding (cf. RFC 1468). Also note that the application form must be filled in Japanese.
As is described in the documents, the proper way to apply for IP address in Japan is to contact one of the JPNIC member ISP first. We have assigned IP address blocks to a number of JPNIC member ISPs for delegation of IP address allocation. We strongly recommend to obtain addresses from these delegated blocks, because of routing table aggregation problem. The list of JPNIC member ISP's can be found in
and the list of delegated IP blocks to our member ISPs is
These list are written in Japanese, but we think you can read some part of them. If you have any question about our IP address allocation service, please contact email@example.com. Questions are desirable to be written in Japanese.
- How can I register a Japanese Domain name?
JPNIC documents related to domain name allocation
services can be obtained by sending an empty mail to
firstname.lastname@example.org. You will find the application
form for JP domain name in these documents. These
documents are placed in the directory
and they can be obtained by anonymous ftp also. Note that these documents are written in Japanese using ISO-2022 encoding (cf. RFC 1468). Also note that the application form must be filled in Japanese. If you can not read/write Japanese e-mail, a possible solution would be to ask for assistance to one of the Internet service providers(ISP's) in Japan. The list of JPNIC member ISP's can be found in
This list is written in Japanese, but we think you can read some part of it. If you have any question about our domain name allocation service, please contact email@example.com. Questions are desirable to be written in Japanese.
- I would like to find the e-mail contact of Mr. xxxx (XXX Corporation/University).
- I would like to know the e-mail addresses of all hotels that are located in the Shinjuku area of Tokyo.
- I am graduating from college this year, and would very much like to teach English in Japan. If you know of any site on the Internet which would be beneficial for me to contact, please let me know.
JPNIC is NOT responsible for who's-who questions, or
directory- searching questions, or job-hunting
The two main objectives of JPNIC are domain name allocation and IP address allocation within Japan. The database service of JPNIC is strongly related to the above mentioned objectives and it is restricted to information on network administration. Hopefully you can make use of it. You will find a brief introduction to the database in the following place.
- I tried to use the whois server "whois.nic.ad.jp" to find information about my friend Mr. xxx, but it was not successful. He actually has an e-mail address in some jp domain. Why?
- JPNIC database is NOT a general directory service. We maintain the database for network administration purposes. Therefore, in the database, we enter only the personal data of those who are responsible for some IP network or Internet domain name which are issued from JPNIC and other personal data are not entered into the database.